PUBLIC SPEAKING EVENTS
“writing inside VT: Writing for Change”, a panel presentation with Sarah W. Bartlett and Meg Reynolds at Gemini Ink Writers Second Annual Conference, San Antonio, Texas. July 2017
“Story-Telling in Non-Traditional Settings: Writing inside Prison,” Sarah W. Bartlett, keynote talk, Pennsylvania Conference of Teachers of English and Language Arts, October 2016.
“Writing to Heal: Creating Safe Circles Inside Prison,” Sarah W.Bartlett, keynote talk, League of Vermont Writers Annual Meeting, January 2016.
“Hear Me, See Me: Incarcerated Women Write,” Sarah W. Bartlett presenting the newly-launched book at the Juvenile Justice Conference in Portland, ME. October 2013.
MEDIA COVERAGE, ARTICLES and REVIEWS about Hear Me, See Me, writing inside VT and/or members of our facilitation team
-“Vermont is One of Two US States That Let Incarcerated Citizens Vote,” by Mark Davis in Seven Days VT, 10.31.18
– ‘writing inside VT Fall Read-Around‘ by Coralee Holm, City of South Burlington, Vermont blog, November 18, 2016.
– Justice Center Announces Writing Program,” under Municipal Matters, The Other Paper of South Burlington, VT, [otherpapersbvt.com] page 9. October 27, 2016.
– ‘I Am Who I Was and So Much More,’ by Sarah W. Bartlett, in Chrysalis: The Journal of Transformative Language Arts, September 2015
– Author’s Note on HEAR ME, SEE ME, by Sarah W. Bartlett in The Mom Egg, January 2015
– Angie, one of our book authors, was interviewed on 10-8-14 on WDEV radio’s “The Vermont Conversation,” featuring Vermont’s hidden voices.
– RETN video of HEAR ME, SEE ME reading at Burlington Book Festival, September 2014.
– “Top 10 Picks for the 10th Annual Burlington Book Festival” Burlington Free Press, September 14, 2014
– ‘Incarcerated women subject of book, summit,’ Burlington Free Press Staff, September 10, 2014
– ‘History Written as Beauty: Incarcerated Women Write’ by Sarah W. Bartlett, Wellesley College Review of Books, April 2014
– Soulful Connections Spring from Prison Writing Program by Marybeth Redmond, National Catholic Reporter, December 3, 2013
– ‘Going to jail has given me a whole new life,’ about wiVT writer Raven Peres, by Abby Bliss, Brattleboro Reformer, November 9, 2013
– Vermont Women Inmates heal through writing circle; publish book of their prose and poetry, Associated Press, November 3, 2013 via FoxNews
– VT Women Inmates Find Outlet in Writing by Lisa Rathke, Associated Press
– Incarcerated Women Pen Their Stories with Molly Walsh, WCAX-TV (CBS Affiliate, Burlington, VT)
– Idyll Banter: Seeing – and Hearing – That Voice Behind Bars by Chris Bohjalian, Burlington Free Press, September 29, 2013
– Vermont Edition – The Poetry & Prose of Women Behind Bars, Jane Lindholm interviews Sarah W. Bartlett, Vermont Public Radio, October 2, 2013
– ‘One Dignified Moment’ by Marybeth Redmond; Vermont Public Radio Brunch, January 1, 2013
– Heart of Art: Writing from the Inside Out,” by Maddie McGarvey, Burlington Free Press, November 11, 2012
WRITING ABOUT WOMEN WRITING for (a) CHANGE, the foundational work upon which writing inside VT is based:
– ‘Youth, Writing and Identity: An Interview with Sarah W. Bartlett’ by Ruth Farmer in Transformative Language Arts in Action, ed. Ruth Farmer and Caryn Mirriam-Goldberg; R&L Education, December 2014.
– ‘Women Writing for (a) Change: History, Philosophy, Programs,’ by Sarah W. Bartlett in WOMEN on POETRY: Writing, Publishing and Teaching, ed. Carol Smallwood, Colleen S. Harris and Cynthia Brackett-Vincent. Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Company, Inc., 2012.
– ‘Women Writing for (a) Change: Mirror, Model, Mentor’ by Sarah W. Bartlett, in CONTEMPORARY AMERICAN WOMEN: Our Defining Passages, Carol Smallwood and Cynthia Brackett-Vincent. Maine: All Things That Matter Press. December 2009.
– Women Writing for (a) Change: A Guide for Creative Transformation, by Mary Pierce Brosmer; Sorin Books, Notre Dame, IN. 2009. [Mary is the 1991 founder of Women Writing for (a) Change, a national program.]
VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO COMMENTARIES about our work:
LOCAL ADVOCACY WORK:
MEDIA COVERAGE about Chittenden Regional Correctional Facility:
“City councilors go inside women’s prison,” Hannah McDonald, Channel 5 news, July 27, 2015
“Education Contract at Women’s Facility Cut,” Elizabeth Hewitt, VT Digger, June 10, 2015
“Controversial Program Locks Down Drug-Addicted Female Inmates,” Kathryn Flagg, Seven Days, May 20, 2015
“Uniform Improvements at Chittenden Regional Correctional Facility,” Jim Kenyon, Valley News, Sunday April 5, 2015
VT Works for Women’s programs prepare incarcerated women for work, February 2015.
Vermont Public Radio: Using Comedy as a Tool Where Laughter is a Precious Commodity